Xian-Wild Goose Pagoda & Muslim Street Markets (Patrick Petterson)

Friday was our first full day in Xi’an. it was an awesome day  and personally I loved it!

To start off the day we made our way by bus to Xi’an Hi-Tech Number 3 school. Waiting at the gate to greet us were 20 students from the school. It was good because they were all the same age as us , so I got on really well with my buddy that I paired up with. We were shown around their school and played some sport with them while we waited to do morning exercise with them. I played table tennis and badminton with my buddy and sort of beat him I think. Morning exercise was much the same as at Changshu. It was a fun morning. We also had class with them that was taken by one of our teachers. I had Rod teaching my class. It was good to tell the class about our country and why we liked it. The school put lunch on for us it was really nice food, I enjoyed it. After lunch it was time to say good-bye and exchange some gifts.

The afternoon we were off to the “Wild Goose Pagoda”, which is a Buddhist temple. I was really interested by why the Pagoda is called the “Wild Goose Pagoda”. Knowing the back story behind some of the things that I have seen in China has really made me appreciate all the things that we have been to. After having a look around the temple, we went inside to listen to a volunteer talk about Chinese art and calligraphy. Most of us got either our names or family names written in calligraphy.

We spent the next hour looking around the Provincial History Museum. It was good to see some of the things that have been found over the year around Xi’an and other parts of the province. Getting to see the Terracotta warriors at the museum up close and personal was awesome. For a while I was playing spot the difference between 2 of the Warriors.

For the night we spent our time (and money) at the Muslim Street Markets. There was plenty of food to choose from, and loads of shopping opportunities. Sam and I went and found a restaurant that sold dumplings. They were really nice dumplings, either that or we were hungry. For the rest of the night we all roamed around buying watches, sunnies, shoes, and the list goes on.

After that it was back to the hotel to sleep well for the next day’s trip to the Terracotta Warriors, which I am so excited about seeing. They would have to be the thing I am looking forward to the most out of the whole trip.


Posted in ,

Leave a Comment