Cambodia- Day 4

Today we awoke refreshed and excited for our first full day of work in the village of Kro Bei Reil. We had managed to clear the building site yesterday, so today we started preparing for the building of the house and that meant that we had to dig! Everyone in the group took turns at digging dirt, to help create a level surface upon which to lay the foundations. It was hard and sweaty work but, over time, we could see that we were making progress. While one group was digging, others were working on sanding timber, removing nails from recycled wood from the previous home and preparing palm leaves and bamboo for the walls. After a couple of hours working on the site it was time for a break and some games. Holly was pretty good at the balloon game, (where you have to pop each other’s balloons, which are tied to your ankles) but in the end Bun won. We were also introduced to the family whose home we were building. The home is being built for a family of a student who has a scholarship to attend the local school. His father died a few years ago in a work-related accident and the mother suffers from illness. His mother and four siblings have struggled with being able to make ends meet, let alone build a home of their own. Everyone was touched by the story and it makes things much more real for us. Everyone is excited to be able to make a difference in the lives of this family and enable them to live their dream of having their own home.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    After lunch it was back to work for a couple of hours, where we continued to rotate between the various jobs on the site. At the end of the day we were once again lucky enough to play with the local children at the end of the day and we all went home feeling much better for our achievements.                                                                                                                                                                                                        The evening saw us learn some Khmer language, which made us “sa-bye sa-bye”. Then it was off for dinner.  Tomorrow we may very well be moving the very large concrete foundation blocks/stilts that the house will sit upon.

Posted in , ,

Leave a Comment